Now that you have your Melanj Hair extensions, the most important thing you can do is to handle them with care. With proper care, and depending on how often you wear them, your extensions can last 12 months or longer. A good rule of thumb is to treat your hair extensions like you would treat your natural hair -- consistent washing, deep conditioning and storing in the satin storage bag will keep your extensions looking and feeling their best.
I’VE RECEIVED MY HAIR, WHAT NEXT?
- Carefully inspect your extensions to ensure you’re happy with them.
- Please note that any hair that has been washed, worn or altered in any way cannot be returned or exchanged.
- Before wearing, gently wash with sulfate-free shampoo and air dry. For blow out textures, you can choose to use a blow dryer with comb attachment.
HOW DO I WASH MY EXTENSIONS?
- It’s best to separate the hair, washing 2-3 wefts at a time.
- For clip ins, make sure all clips are closed to avoid snagging and tangling.
- Secure wefts by hanging on a hanger, tieing with a hair tie or holding in your hand during the washing process.
- After wetting the hair with warm water, apply a small amount of sulfate free shampoo and gently running your hands down the length of the hair. Rinse the hair until the water runs clear.
- Apply conditioner or deep conditioning treatment and detangle using fingers or tangle teaser.
- With conditioner still in the hair, place hair in plastic cap and allow to sit for 5-10 minutes.
- For color treated hair, increase the time to 15-20 min and add heat for best results.
- Rinse conditioner out until water runs clear. Rinse with cool water to seal the cuticle.
- We recommend laying the hair flat or hanging to air dry. You can also use blow dryer with comb attachment to dry any blow out collection product.
- Style as desired!
WHAT PRODUCTS SHOULD I USE?
For a lightweight and natural appearance, avoid using heavy oils, moisturizers and shea butter based products. Unlike your natural hair, your extensions will not produce its own oils, therefore, it is best to avoid using harsh shampoos or cleansers on a regular basis.
- Cleansers -- Sulfate free shampoos and co-washes
- Conditioners -- Moisturizing deep conditioning treatments and lightweight leave in conditioners
- Styling --
- Blow Out Collection -- Heat protectant, Setting lotion or styling foam
- Curls Collection -- Lightweight gel or Serum
- Recommended brands -- Texture ID, Mielle Organics, Aphogee, Camille Rose Naturals, Design Essentials, TGIN, As I Am
HOW OFTEN SHOULD I WASH MY HAIR EXTENSIONS?
- Wash your extensions as needed or every 2-3 wears. If you’re not using heavy styling products you can wash the hair less frequently.
- For curly hair, you may want to re-wet it after each install but it’s not necessary to do a full wash routine. By wetting the hair and gently finger combing, you can freshen up the curls.
WHAT’S THE BEST WAY TO DETANGLE MY HAIR EXTENSIONS?
- It’s best to detangle using a wide tooth comb, tangle teaser or finger detangling.
- For the Curls Collection, using a Denman brush or tangle teaser will help define the curls while detangling.
HOW SHOULD I STORE MY HAIR?
Whenever you’re not using your hair extensions, it’s best to keep them in your satin lined storage bag. This will help retain moisture and avoid tangling between installs.
HOW CAN I STYLE MY EXTENSIONS?
The best thing about Melanj Hair is the sky's the limit when it comes to styling options. Our Blow Out Collection is great for wand curls, textured blow outs, sleek styles, ponytails, braid outs and roller sets. The Curls Collection is perfect for wash n go styles, twist outs, braid outs mini twists and other low manipulation styles.
We recommend avoiding heat styles on the Curls Collection in order to protect the naturally curly hair texture. While you CAN blow out and straighten your curly hair, it can alter the curl pattern.
CAN I DYE MY HAIR EXTENSIONS?
Yes, your hair can be bleached and/or color treated. We recommend having a professional stylist color your hair extensions to avoid damage while using color or bleach.
CAN I SLEEP IN MY CLIP INS?
We do not recommend sleeping in your clip ins. This can cause hair to become tangled and can also apply unnecessary tension to your natural hair causing breakage. It is best to remove your clip ins at night, detangle and store in your satin lined storage bag.